Saturday, July 26, 2008


Most of the buskers at the Dane County Farmer's Market play guitars. A few of them bring violins (or fiddles, depending on how they're played) and every so often a flautist shows up.

I think this is the first time I've seen a guy playing a vibraphone for tips, though.

We threw a couple bucks in his case (yes, he brought it in a case) partly because he was good and we enjoyed listening, and partly because it takes a lot of moxie to get up early and lug your vibraphone all the way to cap square.

[Later: It's been pointed out to me that this is a marimba, which prompted me to look up the difference. According to Wikipedia - and what could be more definitive than Wikipedia? - a vibraphone has aluminum bars and a pedal. A marimba has rosewood bars, and the far row of keys are above and overlap the near row. Now I know.]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Speaking from some expertise as a dormant keyboard percussionist, that my friend is a marimba, a vibraphone has metal bars. just saying.

Me On Xylophone