Sunday, July 02, 2006


Asleep! Me?

No, I haven't fallen asleep, althogh I may have dozed just a bit. I post most of my deepest thoughts at a web site my brother and I own, so as to get the most of our money, don'tcha know. I try to find an interesting photo to post here from time to time, but I dropped the ball these past weeks and for that I hang my head in shame.

Tell you what — to try make it up to you, here are a few of my favorite photos from a cast party I went to about a year and a half ago. I was fortunate enough to be part of a troupe of amateur kabuki actors and this party was our big celebration after pulling off a particularly special performance.


The leader of our troupe of would-be actors was a nationally-known kabuki artist who went by the stage name Bandoh-san. He was not just a spectacularly good actor but a man of limitless patience; he'd have to be, to attempt to teach a guy like me to act.

 

 

 



With plenty of practice we were eventually able to pull off a public appearance at the yearly cultural festival in Towada. I was sure that stage fright would paralyze me, as it usually does, but the lights were so bright I couldn't see anybody beyond the stage! I could concentrate on the show and had a great time.


 

 

 




These guys were just about the most fun I had while I was living abroad in Japan. It's no small stretch to go as far as to say they helped me hang on to my well-being during a very rocky time. Thanks, all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I miss these guys!
-b