Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Digby Sector Ops Museum

Sector Ops Museum, RAF Digby

One of my most cherished memories I took away from RAF Digby would have to be the time I spent as a museum guide at the Sector Ops Museum, a fighter direction post lovingly restored to its World War Two-era glory by a handful of volunteers (Dave Curry, in this photo, being one of the most devoted volunteers of the bunch*, and one hell of an accomplished museum guide as well). I was the first American on the station to take part in giving tours of the museum, and enjoyed every minute.

Most of the items you see in this photo are replicas of the original working aids kept in the plotting room of a fighter direction post, re-created through the study of photographs. I belived that clock on the back wall is the real McCoy, though; I remember climbing a ladder to wind it and set the time on Sunday mornings that I was scheduled to guide a tour group. The room beyond the door, and several other rooms in the bunker, were filled with other authentic museum displays as well. Considering it was all pieced together by volunteers in their spare time, it was quite an amazing museum.

(I don't have any photos of the Ops Museum as good as this one, so I linked to a photo from the 'Y' Services Garats Hay Web page, hoping they won't mind.)

*Must give due credit (as well as a smile and a wave hello) to Pete and Terry, two equally hard-working volunteers and accomplished guides. Have I forgotten somebody? I hope not, but my memory's a dicey thing. Flames to e-mail, and I'll amend the footnote as appropriate.

No comments: